Wicked: The Musical

I grew up watching the film, The Wizard of OZ. I watched it over and over again when I was a child. I even read the novel. I loved the story of Dorothy, the Tin Man, the Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion and their quest to get to the Emerald City. Most of all, I loved the songs. Musicals have always been something I have enjoyed. 

So, a few years ago, when I heard about a novel called Wicked by Gregory Maguire, which told the story from the point of view of the so-called 'Wicked Witch of the West', I just had to read it to see where Maguire would take this story. I was pleasantly surprised. 

Wicked tells the story of Elphaba, a very smart yet misunderstood young woman who is shunned by her classmates because she is green. She is picked on, tormented and abused all because she looks different. 

She attends Shiz university where she must share a room with another student. The beautiful, popular and blonde Galinda. A rich girl who is used to getting her way and have people fawning over her. So she is none too pleased when she realises not only does she have to share her room with an outcast, but one who is not swayed by her charm. 

Eventually, Galinda and Elphaba become unlikely friends. Too bad OZ is in political turmoil. The animals of OZ can talk and hold down jobs like any other being, but they are still treated like second-class citizens to the point where someone is trying to stop them from speaking at all. Animals should be seen not heard, seems to be the conjecture across OZ. Elphaba sees the injustice in this and strives to fight for the rights of the animals.

Unfortunately, by doing this Elphaba makes some powerful enemies and soon she is painted a wicked witch who is trying to destroy OZ. She is once again an outcast and must fight for survival. 


When I heard that Wicked was made into a Broadway musical I was intrigued. Although the relationship between Galinda and Elphaba was an important part of the story, so was the political situation in OZ. How ever were they going to translate that into a musical?

After waiting (not)patiently for about two years I finally went and saw the musical last Saturday and can I say.. it was AMAZING! 

This is one of the best shows I have ever seen. The writer of this musical did a superb job of bringing all of the characters to life. The songs were fantastic and told the story well. The costumes were so detailed. It was funny, sad, entertaining and just so well done. I can't help but gush. 

The only downside is that it took me so long to get around to seeing it that the show closes next month and there is no way I can afford to see it again. 

This musical really does do the book justice. It translated really well. In fact, I think I enjoyed it more so. I highly recommend this show to anyone who has read Wicked and liked it. Anyone who loves musicals and anyone who just loves a good, entertaining show!

Have you seen Wicked the musical? What did you think? Have you seen any other stage shows or musicals that were adapted from novels?
All content © And the plot thickens... 2009-2011 or their respective owners as credited.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP