Literary Tattoos

One of my favourite bloggers is Ashley over at Sound of Silent. Ashley is a 20-something American girl who blogs about her life and her interests, such as books. Recently, Ashley wrote about one of her fantasies... getting a full sleeve literary tattoo. 

This is one of the most fantastic ideas I have ever heard! Like Ashley, I more than likely would never actually get a full sleeve tattoo. Firstly, it was make gaining employment really difficult (shame on you prudish workplaces) and secondly, I am a big baby when it comes to pain. 

That said, I still think it is an awesome idea and I have been busily thinking about what my literary tattoo would consist of. I have settled on the following books and authors that I would NEED to pay tribute to:

Harry Potter - Hogwarts Crest
© The Harry Potter Lexicon
I the love Harry Potter novels.  This is one of my favourite series of books and it is one of the few series which I re-read every so often. I love Hogwarts and honestly wish it was a real place (yup, I am a nerd).

A tribute to Haruki Murakami 

© Poke your eye out
Murakami is one of my all-time favourite authors and I would LOVE to be able to pay tribute to him in the form of a tattoo. Originally I was thinking of something related to my favourite novel, Kafka on the Shore, but then I found this awesome picture of a wind-up bird. This would make such a good tattoo!

Wicked - Gregory Maguire (And the musical)

© Wicked the Musical Store


When I read the novel, Wicked by Gregory Maguire, I instantly loved it. Then I saw the musical. It was AMAZING! Wicked would have to be a part of my literary tattoo. I love the phrase "Defy Gravity" (And the song!) ... and I think it looks really great with the Wicked Witch of the West's hat.

The Chronicles of Narnia

© Fuck Yeah, Tattoos!

I am totally stealing this one off Ashley. I loved her idea of using the lamppost from Narnia as part of a literary sleeve tattoo. I loved these books as a child and have been slowly re-reading them as an adult. They are wonderful.

Allen Ginsberg/Charles Bukowski 

© Make me Blush
© Red Molotov
I love the beat poets and Ginsberg is one of my favourites. I love the poetry and novels of Bukowski. Part of my literary sleeve tattoo would have to contain a tribute to both of these men. I am not entirely sure how.. and it seems kind of strange to think about getting a mans face tattooed on my arm.. but hey, this is a fantasy tattoo so it's completely acceptable!

Alice in Wonderland

© Squidoo
I have loved the story of Alice in Wonderland ever since I was a child. I must admit, the Alice tattoo is a little overdone but nevertheless I enjoy looking at Alice artwork. I quite like this steampunk tribute too.

Some other novels I would love to include would be, The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton because I loved this as a child. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath because I loved it as a teenager. A dragon in tribute of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, because not only did I enjoy the novel but I have always loved dragon tattoos. Some sort of tribute to Roald Dahl and Edgar Allen Poe.... oooh and H.P.Lovecraft.. and Phillip K. Dick.

Not to mention a quote by Dr. Seuss. That would be majorly important.. I am just not sure which one...

I'll stop now because otherwise I will keep going... and I'll be needing a bigger arm! So I will leave you with another link, to one of my other favourite blogs. It's called Bookworms with Ink and it features some awesome literary tattoos.

If you were to get you own literary tattoo what would it be?
All content © And the plot thickens... 2009-2011 or their respective owners as credited.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP