Literary Blog Hop: November 25-28, 2010

 

I just discovered the Literary Blog Hop over at The Blue Bookcase. I absolutely love this idea! In the past I have taken part in the Book Blogger Hop over at Crazy for Books. Although I have enjoyed the hop, I stopped taking part because it seems to be filled with only YA or paranormal romance blogs. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those who read and blog these genres of books, but honestly, all these blogs are starting to look the same to me. 

I prefer blogs that are eclectic as they tend to hold my interest longer, plus I just think that a healthy reader reads a variety of books,... I mean, you wouldn't eat ONLY cheeseburgers right? you have to throw some vegetables, fruit or chicken in there occasionally if you want a balanced diet! Ok, enough of my poor analogy, point is, variety is very important.  Or maybe I just get bored too easily. Either way, the Literary Hop seems to provide access to blogs that have much variety.

This week, the question we all need to answer is:

What makes a contemporary novel a classic? Discuss a book which you think fits the category of ‘modern classics’ and explain why.

Oh wow, that is a hard one.. what makes a contemporary classic?

When I think of modern classics I think of novels like 1984 by George Orwell or The Crucible by Arthur Miller. Books that are well written, challenge a social ideology or make the reader think and question, and stand the test of time. These books are not always necessarily well received by all.

I guess books written pre-1970's can be considered modern classics.

As for contemporary novels, I don't think we can label a book a classic before it has proven that it can stand the test of time.

Sure there are some books I have read that I loved, and felt that they encompassed the points above, automatically pushing them into 'classic' territory, but really, I cannot be sure. As much as some books meet these points, I hesitate to label them such until they are still being read and celebrated in another 30 years.

This is why I have a problem with books like, The Road by Cormac McCarthy being labelled a modern classic. Sure it raised some good points and people seem to love it, but does that really give it the right take its place in the classics category already? I don't think so.

There are some books that I personally feel will end up being modern classics, such as Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro, Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides, We Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver,  and Atonement by Ian McEwan but only time will tell. 

What do you think? Are there any contemporary titles that you feel deserve the title of modern classic?
All content © And the plot thickens... 2009-2011 or their respective owners as credited.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP