The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

In The Little Prince, a small boy leaves the tiny planet on which he lives alone, on a trip to Earth, where he is introduced to the vagaries of adult behaviour. On one level this work is the story of an airman's discovery of a small boy from another planet in the desert and his stories of intergalactic travel, and on the other hand it is a thought-provoking allegory of the human condition. (Taken Goodreads from Book Depository)

Genre: Children's Fiction
Publisher:
  Wordsworth Editions Ltd
Year: 1943

Le Petit Prince by French author, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry is one of those 'must read' novels. The type of story that is full of philosophical pondering, keen observation and poetic prose. The kind of novel that moves people. With a reputation like that, I had to read it. 

Sadly, my experience with this novel didn't match up to that of others. Maybe I wasn't in the right mind frame for such a book, but my experience when something like this... 

I settle myself down to read, with high expectations. I am ready to be wowed. I am ready to laugh and cry and be moved. Or so I thought.

I start to read. At first, I am a little surprised at the style of writing. It's so simple. It reads like a kids book. Oh wait, it is a kids book. I rearrange my thoughts and begin again. 

Reading... reading... I wonder if the washing is finished? I'll go check. 

Ok,, back to reading. I am really hungry. What's the time? *sigh* 2 hours until dinner. Ok, read!

Reading.. reading... God gave rock and roll to you, gave rock and roll to you. Put it in the soul of every.... oh crap! CONCENTRATE. 

Back to reading.... 

I eventually got this very short book finished. 

"Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves, and it is tiresome for children to be always and forever explaining things to them."

Quotes like this, from The Little Prince, make me even more disappointed that I did not connect with this novel. I am putting it down to lack of concentration for now, but it's sad to think that I have become a boring, old adult!

I cannot review this book. I cannot tell you to read it, I can't say this was one of the best books I have ever read. I can't even say I liked it. All I can say is that I will try it again one day in the future when I am not preoccupied with other things. It probably is a great book. If you pay close attention and can forget all those adult things.
All content © And the plot thickens... 2009-2011 or their respective owners as credited.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP