Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter - Seth Grahame-Smith

After having a good laugh reading, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, I couldn't resist picking up a copy of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter. Seth Grahame-Smith once again pulls off an amusing story, that does not disappoint.


Genre: Historical Fiction, Vampires, Satire
Year First Published: 2010
Publisher: Allen & Unwin
Rating: 4/5


After the extraordinary discovery of Abraham Lincoln's long-lost journals, Seth Grahame-Smith brings to life the untold tale of the Great US Emancipator's eternal pursuit of vampires.

From Lincoln's frontier childhood to his assassination, with thrilling new scenes of vampire combat, this richly re-imagined history gives new meaning to the highlights of an already incredible life. 

Like all good satires, Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, does not take itself too seriously. Seth Grahame-Smith, in his now trademark style, takes the history of one of America's greatest presidents and tells his story with passion, respect ... and vampires. 

Starting with Abe's poor childhood and ending with his assassination, Seth shows us a man who suffered many personal tragedies yet continued to fight against slavery and injustice.. and vampires. 

I enjoyed this book for a few reasons, one being I like a good satire and this book had all the elements needed to make me laugh without being too silly. Two, I like a good vampire story (even in this vampire-saturated media world we now live in) and three, I don't know a lot about American history, so I found the story of Abe very interesting (even minus the vampires). 

If you take the vampires out of this novel you still have a story of passion, intrigue, sadness and greatness. That is what drew me in the most. Add vampires... you have a bit more action, a bit more mystery and some laughs.

Every big event in Abe's life and career are somehow linked to vampires and his personal war against them. At first, this was fun but after a while it was expected  so that I could pretty much figure out what was going to happen. Although, knowing a little about his history probably had something to do with that as well.

This novel has left me with an interest in Abraham lincoln and an appreciation for all that he did for America (you can certainly see how Seth feels about the old President). It has also left me with a continued appreciation for Seth's style of humour. I do enjoy it.

That said, I really think the whole 'satire and parody' reworking of the classics is getting a little old. There are only so many adaptations of novels or biographies that I can read involving vampires, zombies, werewolves, androids, sea monsters etc. before it gets boring. Will I read more? ... I really don't know. 

Grab this book if you like a good laugh and aren't offended by the retelling of the life of a great American figure.
All content © And the plot thickens... 2009-2011 or their respective owners as credited.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP