Towards Zero – Agatha Christie

What is the connection between a failed suicide attempt, a wrongful accusation of theft against a schoolgirl, and the romantic life of a famous tennis player? 

To the casual observer, apparently nothing. But when a houseparty gathers at Gull's Point, the seaside home of an elderly widow, earlier events come to a dramatic head. As superintendent Battle discovers, it is all part of a carefully laid plan – for murder....

Genre: Fiction, Mystery, Crime, Detective
Year: 1944
Publisher: Harper
Rating: 3/5

Towards Zero tells the story of a group of people, staying at Gull's Point. We have Lady Tressilian, the owner of the seaside house hosting this get together. Nevile, the tennis star and his young, attractive new wife, Kay. His ex wife, Audrey. Edward Latimer, Kay's best friend. Mary Aldin, Lady Tressilian's carer. Thomas Royde, Audrey's distant cousin, and Mr. Treves, an old friend of Lady Tressilian.

This provides the reader with a motley crew of mismatched people who all come under suspicion when one of them is murdered. So whodunit? Who cares. 

I read this novel a few weeks ago when I was home from work, sick with a virus. I couldn't really do much except watch TV and read. I chose to read Agatha Christie because she always provides an easy and fun read. Exactly what I needed with my head pounding and brain not wanting to function too well. 

I was a bit disappointed in this novel. All of the other Christie novels I have read, I loved. This one, not so much. Maybe my short attention span had something to do with it, but I just didn't find I cared about the characters in this book, nor did I find the mystery all that engrossing.

Even the big twist at the end wasn't all that interesting. I was just glad to have finished this novel so I could move on to something better. 

I won't hold this against Christie. We can't all get it right all the time, right? I think I'll go for a Poirot next time I feel like reading a murder mystery. 

Want to grab a copy of this book? Try The Book Depository!
All content © And the plot thickens... 2009-2011 or their respective owners as credited.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP